|Reported by:||sjanssen||Owned by:||none|
Description (last modified by imz)
Implement XHB, a Haskell X11 library built on XCB.
The existing X11 package has several serious issues:
- The binding is quite incomplete.
- Some parts of the library retain a C feel to them. Consider the casting/struct peeking style of the Event system, where an algebraic data type of events is more appropriate.
A binding based on XCB has several advantages:
- The XCB binding is generated from XML that describes the X11 protocol. XHB can use these XML desciptions to generate the library. This means that XHB will be as complete and correct as the C binding.
- XCB has an asynchronous model that may fit very well with Haskell's laziness.
This project was attempted last year, and given the improvements in the X11 library since then, furthering the XHB bindings is a low priority.
If you're interested in this project, please contact Don (mentor, below), to discuss the current situation.
- Don Stewart
- Spencer Janssen (sjanssen) <sjanssen@…>
- Roman Cheplyaka (Feuerbach) <roma@…>
Change History (11)
comment:5 Changed 6 years ago by dons
- Description modified (diff)
- Priority changed from good to OK
- Type changed from proposed-project to completed