|Version 4 (modified by ijones, 9 years ago) (diff)|
While discussion on the mailing list has been coming fast & furious, actual tangible progress, even as measured on the wiki, has not been as fast.
To remedy this, we propose to focus immediately and intently on a few of the most critical topics, and to focus all of our energies on them until they are done. We'd like to go so far as to ask folks to drop discussion on other items until these are solved.
The goal of this approach is that we will spend the most time on the critical (and hard) stuff, instead of leaving it for last. We know that we can spend a lot of time and energy discussing relatively small things, and so we want to make sure that these relatively small things don't take up all of our time. We will tackle them later.
- Focus Groups are accountable for their topic. It is up to you to make Haskell' a success in this area.
- Most discussion should still happen on the mailing list, and anyone may participate in any discussion. Since you are accountable for your topic, though, you may choose to put most of your energy into that topic, to ensure its success.
- During discussion, try to focus on interests, not positions. The interests may be your interests, the compiler authors interests, or the interests of the community as a whole. Our positions may divide us, but our interests are often shared. Seek creative solutions that satisfy a compelling set of interests.
- Can focus group leaders provide a timeline where they think we might be able to have a strawman proposal?
- Our main goal will be to bring these topics to "beta" quality by mid April. That is, something that we could be happy with, but that perhaps needs some polishing. After that, we may try to pick the next most critical topics with the goal of having everything at "beta" quality by the face-to-face we're hoping to have at PLDI in June.
- Simon Marlow <simonmar at microsoft.com> (leader)
- John Goerzen <jgoerzen at complete.org>
- Henrik Nilsson <nhn at cs.nott.ac.uk>
- Malcolm Wallace <Malcolm.Wallace at cs.york.ac.uk>
- Stephanie Weirich <sweirich at cis.upenn.edu> (leader)
- Martin Sulzmann <sulzmann at comp.nus.edu.sg>
- Manuel M T Chakravarty <chak at cse.unsw.edu.au>
- Ravi Nanavati <ravi at bluespec.com>
- Andres Loeh <loeh at iai.uni-bonn.de>
- Ross Paterson <ross at soi.city.ac.uk>
- Simon Peyton-Jones <simonpj at microsoft.com>
3rd, unnamed subgroup
- Bastiaan Heeren <bastiaan at cs.uu.nl>
- John Meacham <john at repetae.net>
- Don Stewart <dons at cse.unsw.edu.au>
- Audrey Tang <autrijus at gmail.com>
- Simom J. Thompson <S.J.Thompson at kent.ac.uk>
- Isaac Jones (co-editor)
- John Launchbury (co-editor) <john at galois.com>