- Vital for some modern applications
- Large applications commonly require it
- imposes non trivial implementation constraints.
- providing a 'select' and non-blocking IO would be enough to allow people to implement something like it themselves in haskell and are provided by most systems as primitives.
- Things like the 'poor man's concurrency monad' can achieve some of the benefits
- only one implementation exists, design space not very well explored.
- Unsure at this point if new STM will replace older MVar-style concurrency
Download in other formats: