|Version 1 (modified by simonmar, 3 years ago) (diff)|
Release management and branches
Releases are made by the release manager, currently either Ian Lynagh or Paolo Capriotti. The release manager is also the maintainer of the stable branch, see #Branches.
- Major releases are made once per year, typically around October-November. We don't work to a fixed deadline, the release will be made when it is ready.
- Minor releases are made throughout the year, with no fixed schedule. Generally there will be 2-3 minor releases for every major release.
- For each release we make a release candidate first, possibly followed by further release candidates as necessary. Release candidates are announced on the glasgow-haskell-users mailing list.
- Tier 1 platforms must all be in a working state before the release is made. We make every effort to fix bugs in other platforms too, but bugs on Tier 2/3 platforms are not treated as release-blockers.
The master branch of all repositories is the main development branch. We often call this "HEAD" for historical reasons.
There is a "stable" branch corresponding to each major release, named after the major version. For example, the stable branch corresponding to the 7.4.1 release is called ghc-7.4. Every repository (see Repositories) has a ghc-7.4 branch, so you can switch a complete tree to the branch with ./sync-all checkout ghc-7.4.
Our convention is that only the release manager modifies the stable branch. Other developers request that changes are merged to the branch in one of the following ways:
- By moving a ticket into the "merge" state once it is fixed. Please do this if you fix a bug and the fix is suitable for the branch.
- By emailing the release manager to ask that a patch be merged.
The release manager will usually merge patches with git cherry-pick, so patches on the branch will have different SHA-1 hashes from their corresponding patches on master. This means that you can't use tricks like git name-rev to see whether a particular patch is on the branch - just search through the output of git log ghc-7.4 instead.