|Version 84 (modified by simonmar, 8 years ago) (diff)|
Welcome to the GHC Developer Wiki
This is the home for GHC developers, one place for all the resources related to developing GHC. If you're only interested in using GHC, then you probably want The GHC home page instead.
Please help us improve the information here. You can easily do this by editing the wiki directly. Just log in as user guest with password guest. The "Help/Guide" link at the top of every page gives a good description of the markup language etc.
For a complete list of local wiki pages, see TitleIndex.
- We ran a GHC Hackathon just before ICFP 2006 in Portland, Oregon. As a result, The GHC Commentary is now completely revised, and it's in the GHC Wiki, so you can help keep it up to date. (For the dedicated, videos of the Simons presenting this material are on the Hackathon page.)
- Internships at Microsoft Research, Cambridge, working on Haskell and GHC
- Our current thinking about enhancing GHC's support for packages?.
Release cycle status
- The GHC 6.6 release cycle has begun, see this message. Look at the tickets scheduled for 6.6.
- There are now Darcs repositories for the GHC 6.6 branch: ghc-6.6/ghc, ghc-6.6/packages/*, ghc-6.6/testsuite, ghc-6.6/nofib. Bug-fixes only in these repositories, please!
- There will be a 6.4.3, to correct some serious platform-specific bugs in 6.4.2. Look at the tickets scheduled for 6.4.3.
- Download snapshots here. This link also gets you to a typeset user manual for the current snapshot.
The bug tracker
- See the menu on the left to query or add to the bug tracker.
How to get started with hacking on GHC:
- Grab the latest sources
- Set up your build tree
- Pick an easy bug report or task to work on
- Useful information about GHC's architecture is in the Commentary
- Hack away... ask questions on the cvs-ghc mailing list
- Submit patches back, using darcs send is the recommended way.
Mailing lists and IRC
GHC developers hang out on the cvs-ghc mailing list. This list also receives the following:
- checkins on the main ghc repository
- patches sent by darcs send
- nightly build reports
The traffic level varies quite a bit depending on how much activity there is.
GHC developers also hang out on #ghc channel on FreeNode. This is a good place to ask questions related to working on GHC itself; if you have more general questions then #haskell is probably more appropriate.
- Miscellaneous notes on Trac Wiki. Information not easily found (or not at all!) on Trac Wiki documentation. Probably this is the page to look if you are having trouble formatting TracWiki pages.
This section collects information intended for people who would like to help work on GHC's source code. The most important pieces of documentation are:
- Building and Porting GHC
All information on getting the sources, building GHC, and porting GHC is here.
- The (new) GHC Commentary
Documentation on the design, architecture, and implementation of GHC itself, with references to the actual source code. (Don't confuse this with the old commentary. This one is new and up to date.)