|Version 85 (modified by thoughtpolice, 3 years ago) (diff)|
Release plans for GHC 7.8
Note that anything not listed here is off Austin's radar.
Pending RC tickets
- #7602 - OS X 10.8 seemed OK, but OS X 10.9 needs investigation
- Builds cleanly
- validate runs OK
- The compiler can bootstrap itself and validate from a binary distribution
|Linux (i386)||Linux (x86_64)||OS X 10.7 (x86_64)||OS X 10.8 (x86_64)||OS X 10.9 (x86_64)||Windows i386||Windows x86_64|
|Builds clean||OK||OK||OK||Probably OK||OK||OK||OK|
|validate||In progress||OK||OK||Probably OK||In progress||OK||OK|
|bootstrap||In progress||OK||OK||Probably OK||In progress||In progress||In progress|
-  The testsuite performance numbers need to be updated for 32 bit platforms.
-  Mavericks was tested using Clang, and there are some failures (mostly minor driver related things, but not critical.)
The Dynamic Story
The dynamic story is complex. Here's the breakdown:
|Linux (i386)||Linux (x86_64)||FreeBSD||OS X 10.7 (x86_64)||OS X 10.8 (x86_64)||OS X 10.9 (x86_64)||Windows i386||Windows x86_64|
|Dynamic GHCi||OK||OK||NO||OK||Probably OK||In progress||NO||NO|
|-dynamic-too||OK||OK||OK||OK||Probably OK||In progress||NO||NO|
|-dynamic||OK||OK||OK||OK||Probably OK||In progress||NO||NO|
-  Dynamic GHCi is disabled due to a bug in FreeBSD's rtld, but we're waiting for it to make it into a release.
- Dynamic GHCi: ghci uses the system linker and loads dynamic libraries, to avoid linker bugs. This is controlled by DYNAMIC_GHC_PROGRAMS=YES.
- -dynamic-too: strictly an optimization, -dynamic-too allows the compiler to build static and dynamic object files at once. This is convenient for Dynamic GHCi support.
- -dynamic: allows dynamic linking and dynamic libraries.
The Windows Conundrum
- Windows is a bit difficult right now.
- 64bit builds work using the MSYS2 environment with some failures
- 32bit builds work well using the old environment
- Austin confirmed the latest HEAD worked in the old 32bit environment, but not the msys2 one: the ghc-stage2.exe segfaults, and Austin hasn't tracked down why.
- It seems -dynamic is busted, as well as -dynamic-too
- We're punting all three of them for the RC.
- This leaves GHC in the same place it was before essentially (but 64bit is in a difficult spot, see #7134)
- Austin Seipp needs to upload the primops compatibility package for 7.8. This is is easy: mostly a copy of compiler/utils/ExtsCompat64.hs into a Cabal package. See also the compatibility module page.