|Version 72 (modified by thoughtpolice, 20 months ago) (diff)|
Release plans for GHC 7.8
See recent ghc-devs posting GHC 7.8 Release Status & Schedule for latest timeline.
We would like to fix all of the high and highest priority tickets in the 7.8.1 milestone, but there are currently a lot of them so this seems optimistic. Please feel free to take a ticket and help us!
Completed new features
The features already completed are documented in the release notes: docs/users_guide/7.8.1-notes.xml
Pending new features
The following new features are planned for 7.8 but have not yet made it. They are at varying degrees of completeness, and may not all make it in.
- Jan Stolarek has completed the boolean-primop story, but they are going through a major refactoring. 90% Complete.
- Austin Seipp would like to do some official ARMv7 binary releases with a working stage2 compiler and GHCi. He believes the last major remaining bug is #7794, which trips the info table generation for bytecode. Otherwise, GHC can build and successfully use Template-Haskell, vector/dph, etc.
- Austin also still has a lingering patch for #7602 to fix a large OS X performance regression, but it's still not merged. The final details must be sorted out with Simon Marlow. ETA: First week of October.
- Dynamic GHCi (#3658). This is working in HEAD, and enabled if DYNAMIC_GHC_PROGRAMS=YES. Currently it's enabled by default if dynamic libraries are supported, except for FreeBSD and Windows. On FreeBSD the reason it's disabled is due to a bug in FreeBSD's rtld. This has been fixed, but we're waiting for the fix to make it into releases. This might be in time for 7.8, but certainly will be for 7.10. See #7819. On Windows, there are a couple of build time annoyances: -dynamic-too doesn't work on Windows (#8228), and linking takes a very long time when dynamic linking is used (#8229). There's no technical reason why it couldn't be enabled, though. The plan is/was to use dynamic GHCi on as many platforms as possible in 7.8, and to remove support for non-dynamic-ghci in HEAD soon after. See discussion in #8039, however.
- Andreas Voellmy has implemented the parallel IO manager. This has been merged into HEAD. There are two tickets (#8224 and #7651) that Andreas will try to resolve before the release. Andreas needs some input from Ryan Newton and possibly Simon Marlow on #8224.
Features that will definitely not make it
- Trevor Elliot and Iavor Diatchki have implemented GhcKinds/KindsWithoutData, but the implementation is still in flux.
- Overloaded record fields, by Adam Gundry (GSOC). This is essentially done, apart from some refactoring, but will be merged into HEAD after 7.8 to allow time for tinkering with the design.
- Explicit type application (Stephanie and her students)