|Version 1 (modified by nomeata, 5 months ago) (diff)|
(Trac’ed as #8407).
This proposal aims to introduce re-exports at the package/module level (similar to the symbol re-exporting at the module/symbol level), to make reorganization of the package structure, such as moving a module from package-a to package-b, easier on the users of these packages.
Occasionally, a whole module Data.Foo needs to be moved from one package (package-a) to another (package-b), keeping its name. There are two possibilities:
- The module is provided by both packages (possibly with its symbols re-exported by one of them). Then a user cannot easily (i.e. without PackageImports) depend on both packages.
- The module is removed in package-a. This then requires a major API bump and downstream packages likely have to update their dependencies. Also, if they did not use package-b before, they’d have to do that now.
To combine the best of both possibilities, it will be possible for package-a to explicitly re-export Data.Foo from package-b. This information is noted in the package data base, and has the following effects
- a module using "import Data.Foo", "import "package-a" Data.Foo" or "import "package-b" Data.Foo" imports the real package-b:Data.Foo, if package-a or package-b is in scope.
- even if both package-a and package-b are in scope, the compiler does not complain about an ambiguous import.
Furthermore, a re-export can be annotated with a deprecation message. In that case, if Data.Foo is imported without package-b being in scope, the warning is printed. It is not printed if the module is imported only via package-b, or if both are in scope.
The re-export will need to be given in the .cabal file:
name: package-a ... library: build-depends: package-b exposed-modules: Data.Bar reexported-modules: Data.Foo
If, for some reason, the reexport itself needs to be qualified, then a package name can be given using the PackageImports syntax (but without an extra flag). An annotation can be appended as a quoted string:
name: package-a ... library: build-depends: package-b exposed-modules: Data.Bar reexported-modules: "package-b" Data.Foo "Importing Data.Foo via package-a is deprecated, please build-depend on package-b"
Steps to take
The implementation will have to touch (probably incomplete list):
- The module lookup code in GHC