|Version 7 (modified by hwloidl, 6 years ago) (diff)|
Glasgow Parallel Haskell (GpH) and Eden documentation
This page will describe the GpH and Eden parallel variants of GHC. This is work in progress.
St Andrews has hosted the HackPar parallel hackathon in December.
A series of GpH Meetings? has been launched.
What follows is an entry page to describe technical documentation of the Eden/GpH implementation in parallel systems with distributed memory.
The different aspects are covered by separate pages reachable from here.
Modifications to implement Eden (and parallel RTS instances in general)
- Compiler Ways for parallelism
- Startup and Shutdown of the parallel system
- Packing and Unpacking Heap Structures
- Primitive Operations for Coordination Control
- Placeholders, Garbage Collection, other Aspects
- event logging for parallel Haskell
- GUM variant of packing code, using global addressing
Here is a list of hackers involved in the development of GpH/Eden
- Jost Berthold (JB)
- Vladimir Janjic (VJ),
- Hans-Wolfgang Loidl (HWL)
- Kevin Hammond (KH)
- Mustafa Aswad (MKA)
- Henrique Ferreiro (HE)
- Philip W Trinder (PWT)
- Patrick Maier (PM)
- Abyd Al Zain (AAZ)
- Mischa Dieterle (MD)
- Thomas Horstmeyer (TH)
A mailing list for parallel Haskell implementors has been set up at HWU: hackpar
This list of tasks is based on the discussion during the parallel hackathon, Dec 2009. Each task has a maintainer associated with it, who looks after the software.
- GpH/Eden Code maintenance: (HWL to oversee)
- Scheduling: Per-PE scheduling and load distribution policies (VJ)
- Packing/Serialisation: Turning a graph into a write-/send-able format (JB)
- Distributed Shared Memory: Abstraction layer over distribution of heap (HWL)
- Communication: Sending and receiving work and data (MKA)
- Monitoring/Tracing: MD/TH
- Visualisation Tools: Visualising parallel execution (MD/TH)
- Parallel NoFib Suite: Parallel benchmark programs (HE)
- Testsuite: Programs testing the parallel RTS
- Packaging and building: ???
- Darcs repo maintenance: Main repos in Marburg (JB)
- GpH/Eden tracs ticketing: Bug reports (HWL)