|Version 1 (modified by hvr, 16 months ago) (diff)|
Git Repository Reorganization (#8545)
The content on this page is still work in progress
some misc. notes about submodules
See also some older notes: DarcsConversion#Theperspectiveonsubmodules
- based on the current access patterns, a few repositories are modified often (specifically, ghc.git and testsuite.git are often updated in a inter-dependent way); most repositories aren't updated for several weeks; therefore some of the issues outlined with the usability of submodules might have less weight here.
- Tooling is required, as discussed in this ghc-devs@ posting .
Simple migration plan
- Fold testsuite.git into ghc.git, as they are strongly inter-dependent. nofib.git and base.git are two other candidates for being folded into ghc.git.
- All other add-on repositories should be converted into Git submodules.
- ghc.git's commit id by itself effectively provides a sufficient source-tree fingerprint; therefore, this renders the fingerprint.py superfluous
- git bisect works (almost) out of the box now
- buildbots don't need to fetch all repos every time to check for new commits; it's enough to check ghc.git, and only if a new commit in ghc.git exists, run git submodule update