|Version 17 (modified by simonmar, 6 years ago) (diff)|
This page tells you how to get started with hacking on GHC.
Contributing to the Wiki
- Register an account, so that you can edit pages
- Look at the "Wiki" links in the green sidebar on the left of every page
Getting GHC to build on your machine
- The Building Guide has all the information you need to set up your system for building GHC, and get a working development build.
Deciding what to work on
- You may have a pet project of your own. If you are wondering which bits of the compiler would be important for you, start by consulting the Commentary.
- Pick an easy bug report or task to work on
- Help us with our BugSweep
Contributing back to GHC
The following pages describe the process of making a change to GHC and contributing it back. For small changes you can just darcs send, but for larger changes it helps a great deal if the patch is in a form that we can review quickly and use without too much extra work.
Note that, largely due to performance issues in darcs 1.*, we currently avoid applying patches with conflicts to GHC, and its associated repositories. If you find that you have a conflict in a patch that you want to send or apply, please first unrecord and re-record (or amend-record) it so that the conflict is removed.