|Version 68 (modified by simonpj, 9 years ago) (diff)|
The GHC Commentary
This tree of wiki pages is a "commentary" on the GHC source code. It contains all the explanatory material that doesn't belong in comments in the source code itself, because the material is wide-ranging, usually covers multiple source files, and is more architectural in nature. The commentary can also be considered a design document for GHC.
Please feel free to add material to this commentary: don't worry too much about accuracy, in due course someone will edit your contribution. Try to link to source files as much as possible by using this macro: [[GhcFile(compiler/Makefile)]] (the usual Trac source: macro doesn't work here because the GHC darcs repository isn't integrated into this Trac). Also try to add appropriate links to other parts of the commentary.
- Cross-cutting concerns: topics which span both the compiler and the runtime system
- The User Manual (formatting guidelines etc)
Please feel free to add new pages here. In due course information will migrate from here to the main commentary above.
- The Compiler
- BeginnersNotes: Some notes about getting started hacking GHC and the structure of the compiler (especially types and typecheck)
- TypeFunctions: Notes concerning the implementation of type functions and associated types, which was merged in the HEAD during ICFP'06.
- IntermediateTypes: Notes about the type system of GHC's new intermediate language (in the HEAD since ICFP'06)
- RewriteRules: Notes about the implementation of RULEs in GHC
- BackEndNotes: Some ideas and notes about the back end.
- GhciDebugger: Some notes about the implementation of the GHCi debugger. Probably uninteresting unless you want to work on the debugger.
- DebuggingGhcCrashes: how to use gdb to debug a crash in GHC-compiled code.
- AddingNewPrimitiveOperations: How to add new primitive operations to GHC Haskell.
- Replacing GMP: Notes from an effort to replace GMP with another Bignum library.
- ExternalCore: Describes the process of bringing External Core up to speed. Once finished, this will simply describe what External Core is, and how it works.
- The Runtime System
- Hackathon presentations (video)
Old but useful
Finally, here are some generally-useful, but now somewhat-out-of-date resources:
- The old GHC Commentary: Information on the internals of GHC, in various states of up-to-dateness. We are keen to move this stuff out of its current location and onto this Wiki. If anyone is willing to help do that, even for just a part in which you are interested, we would be delighted.
- GhcPapers: papers and pointers to other documents that relate to the inner workings of GHC.
Convert type diagram to SVG? Upload graphviz source?