|Version 1 (modified by simonmar, 4 years ago) (diff)|
Cleanup after the new codegen is enabled
The new codegen was enabled by default in 832077ca5393d298324cb6b0a2cb501e27209768. Now that the switch has been made, we can remove all the cruft associated with the old code generator. There are dependencies between some of the components, so we have to do things in the right order. Here is a list of the cleanup tasks, and notes about dependencies:
- Use BlockId or Label consistently, currently we use a mixture of the two. Maybe get rid of the BlockId module.
- Remove live-var and CAF lists from StgSyn, and then clean up CoreToStg
- Remove the SRT pass in simplStg/SRT.lhs
- remove RET_DYN from the RTS
- remove -fnew-codegen, related HscMain bits and the CodeGen module.
Towards removing codeGen/Cg*
- [Simon M is working on this] CmmParse should produce new Cmm.
- We will probably want two kinds of .cmm file, one that is to be fed through CmmLayoutStack and one that isn't.
- primops will be fed through CmmLayoutStack, and will use the native calling convention, with the code generator inserting the copyin/copyout for us.
- Remove all the Cg* modules (requires the CmmParse cleanup first).
Towards removing OldCmm
- Change the NCG over to consume new Cmm. We possible also want the generated native code to use the Hoopl Block representation, although that will mean changing branch instructions to have both true and false targets, rather than true and fallthrough as we have now.
- Do the new SRT story (ToDo: write a wiki page about this)