|Version 12 (modified by eivuokko, 9 years ago) (diff)|
This page is meant to document the current state of GHC on Apple Mac OS X on Intel x86 hardware.
DarwinPorts still has GHC as not supported on x86.
At the time of writing (2006-08-20), darcs ghc won't build out of the box using the build 20060608. Here's steps to do it:
darcs get --partial http://darcs.haskell.org/ghc cd ghc chmod +x ./darcs-all ./darcs-all get --partial autoreconf ./configure darcs unpull --patch "Fix Array imports" # answer yes # edit file mk/config.mk # on line 790, change variable's value to # GhcMinVersion = 4 # that causes normal bootstrap make -j3 # Add GhcBootLibs=YES if you don't want all the libs, -j3 is cool if you got core duo # compiles stage1 and libs # it should stop on stage2, compiler/Digraph.lhs darcs pull -a # patch "Fix Array imports" make -j3 stage=2 # Add GhcBootLibs=YES if you don't want all the libs # be happy
If you use build after 20060814 or so, you shouldn't need to unpull and pull the patch.
AudreyTang has contributed an updated GHC CVS build: http://pugs.blogs.com/dist/ghc-6.5.20060608.tar.bz2
- This build has a post-install script that fixes readline, installs GMP.framework, and runs "ranlib" for you, so there's no manual tweaking involved anymore.
- Also note that this build does not have Data.ByteString and Data.ByteString.Char8 as part of the "base" package, because they are not compatible with the same-named modules from the latest fps package, which is going to be merged to GHC real soon now.
- An earlier build is available at http://perlcabal.org/~audreyt/tmp/ghc-6.5.20060526-i686-apple-darwin8.tar.bz2
This GHC CVS build seems to work quite well: http://www.uni-graz.at/imawww/haskell/ghc-6.5.20060409-i386-apple-darwin.tar.bz2 Some issues:
- You need to manually install GMP.framework in /Library/Frameworks, and libreadline.dylib (and the libreadline*.dylib symlinks, I guess) in /usr/local/lib (assuming prefix=/usr/local).
- When using runghc to build some cabal packages (e.g. xhtml), the setup program dies silently after building the archive, but before writing the .installed-pkg-config file. If the setup program is compiled with ghc, this does not happen.
- When using "./configure --prefix=/usr/local; make install", GHC gets installed in /usr/local/lib/-6.5/.
The Makefile.in for the release above is broken in a few ways, which causes the /-6.5/ weirdness The problems are:
- package is not set. Be sure that the package name does not end in a space
- the invocation of mkdirhier (INSTALL_DIR) is broken for libraries & share (lines 205 & 206) , the first $$0 is in error
- the library files are installed using cp, but should be installed using 'install -p' to preserve the timestamps