Notes From a Beginning GHC Hacker
General notes (some just for Windows)
- The Building Guide is very good, read the appropriate parts.
- Optimize your set up for build speed. Having to wait 10 minutes to compile because you added an export to a critical module is no fun.
- Use MSYS, not cygwin. MSYS is much faster.
- Do not use -O to compile GHC while you are making heavy changes. Once things compile smoothly and you want to test it, compile with optimization (on my machine, adding -O triples the compile time for a fresh 'make').
- If you do a 'make tags' then you can go right to the definition of a function (from any module) using alt-. in emacs.
- If you need to add or delete modules, use 'make boot' to fix up the dependencies.
Download in other formats: