Opened 4 years ago

Closed 15 months ago

Last modified 9 months ago

#7666 closed bug (invalid)

excessive space and time usage for rendering (somewhat) deeply nested Docs

Reported by: j.waldmann Owned by: dterei
Priority: normal Milestone: 8.0.1
Component: Core Libraries Version: 7.6.2
Keywords: Cc: ekmett
Operating System: Unknown/Multiple Architecture: Unknown/Multiple
Type of failure: None/Unknown Test Case:
Blocked By: Blocking:
Related Tickets: Differential Rev(s):
Wiki Page:


I was running into serious performance problems when printing moderately sized Doc and Xml data (HaXml goes via Doc).

Since pretty is shipped with ghc, this is potentially dangerous. Users will just assume that these core components are tried and tested, and working efficiently.

More info:

See also:

Test case (builds an Xml tree with HaXml and renders it via the pretty library):

Change History (8)

comment:1 Changed 4 years ago by igloo

  • difficulty set to Unknown
  • Milestone set to 7.8.1
  • Owner set to dterei

comment:2 Changed 3 years ago by thoughtpolice

  • Milestone changed from 7.8.3 to 7.10.1

Moving to 7.10.1

comment:3 Changed 2 years ago by thoughtpolice

  • Component changed from libraries/pretty to Core Libraries

Moving over to new owning component 'Core Libraries'.

comment:4 Changed 22 months ago by thoughtpolice

  • Milestone changed from 7.10.1 to 7.12.1

Moving to 7.12.1 milestone; if you feel this is an error and should be addressed sooner, please move it back to the 7.10.1 milestone.

comment:5 Changed 15 months ago by thomie

  • Resolution set to invalid
  • Status changed from new to closed

Closing as invalid, since the pretty bug tracker is here:

I did try to build your testcase. But besides haxml, it also requires a package called tpdb, which itself has so many dependencies I gave up.

If you do reopen on the pretty bug tracker, pleas make the test smaller, include build instructions, and expected output.

comment:6 Changed 15 months ago by thomie

To be fair: tpdb probably had less dependencies when you submitted this bug. It also depends on wl-pprint-text now, perhaps because pretty is too slow/uses too much memory...

Anyway, please open a bug on the pretty bug tracker, it will hopefully get more attention there.

comment:7 Changed 14 months ago by thoughtpolice

  • Milestone changed from 7.12.1 to 8.0.1

Milestone renamed

comment:8 Changed 9 months ago by j.waldmann

  • Cc ekmett added

simplified test case entered into pretty's bug tracker:

Last edited 9 months ago by j.waldmann (previous) (diff)
Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.