Proposal: Performance improvements for Data.Set
|Reported by:||tibbe||Owned by:|
|Type of failure:||Runtime performance bug||Test Case:|
|Blocked By:||Blocking:||#4312, #4313|
|Related Tickets:||Differential Rev(s):|
Following on from ticket #4277 here is a similar patch for Data.Set.
This proposal provides a patch that improves performance for many parts of the API. Three standard techniques are applied to the code:
- Worker/Wrapper transformations of recursive functions with constant arguments (aka. the static argument transformation).
- Explicit inlining of wrapper functions.
- Explicit strictness of keys to functions.
Three complementary, but orthogonal patches are provided.
- Add a testsuite, with coverage data (currently 51% of top level functions, and all core functions).
- Add a micro-benchmark suite based on Criterion, for empirical evidence of improvements to each function.
- The optimization patch itself.
All 3 patches should be applied, under this proposal.
The benchmark results are relatively clear:
32% faster on OS X 10.5.8 on 2 GHz Core 2 Duo
The consideration period is 3 weeks (before ICFP).
Work carried out over 28/29th August, 2010 in Utrecht, NL, by Johan Tibell and Don Stewart.