Opened 11 years ago

Closed 10 years ago

Last modified 46 years ago

#371 closed bug (Fixed)

segmentation fault

Reported by: zooko Owned by: simonmar
Priority: normal Milestone:
Component: None Version: None
Keywords: Cc:
Operating System: Architecture:
Type of failure: Test Case:
Blocked By: Blocking:
Related Tickets: Differential Rev(s):
Wiki Page:


Change History (6)

comment:1 Changed 11 years ago by simonmar

Logged In: YES 

If the darcs devs can confirm that this is most likely a bug
in GHC, as opposed to a bug in darcs due to use of FFI or
unsafeWhatNot, then we'll look into it.  We need a repro
case (the repository that caused the failure, at least), and
the same darcs sources.

comment:2 Changed 10 years ago by zooko

Logged In: YES 

For what it is worth, I haven't gotten any of these errors
since I stopped trying to use darcs on lots of large binary
patches containing 100's of MB per patch.

So I suspect the bug is triggered by certain memory usage

comment:3 Changed 10 years ago by simonmar

Logged In: YES 

Without a repeatable test case, there's nothing we can do
with this bug report, sorry.  If it reappears, feel free to
post more information and we can re-open the bug.

comment:4 Changed 10 years ago by zooko

Logged In: YES 

Hooray!  A repeatable test case has been found!

comment:5 Changed 10 years ago by zooko

Logged In: YES 

to reproduce:

1.  Download

2.  Untar it

3.  darcs initialize

4.  darcs record -al -m foo

Expected behavior: darcs records a massive patch adding all
of the contents to the repo.

Actual behavior: on Linux and Mac OS X darcs works as
expected.  On Windows it gives an error.  I believe the
error varies.  radekg reported this:

I tried darcs 1.0.4. and got some uninformative error
message generated by darcs.  Then I tried darcs 1.0.3 and
got this:

darcs.exe: internal error: stg_ap_v_ret
    Please report this as a bug to
[email protected],

comment:6 Changed 10 years ago by simonmar

  • Status changed from assigned to closed
Logged In: YES 

Fixed; this was a bug in the regex library distributed with
GHC.  The regex library originally comes from FreeBSD, and
it turns out the FreeBSD folks had already patched this
problem in a later revision, so I brought over the patch
(FreeBSD rev. 1.24 regcomp.c; GHC rev. 1.7).
Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.